By Mike Filey
Mike Filey's column "The means We Were" first seemed within the Toronto Sunday sunlight now not lengthy after the 1st version of the paper hit the newsstands and entrance porches on September sixteen, 1973. seeing that that day greater than 3 many years in the past, Mike's column has loved an uninterrupted stretch as one of many paper's most well-liked beneficial properties. In 1992 a few his columns have been reprinted in Toronto Sketches: the best way We have been by way of Dundurn Press. on account that then one other seven volumes of Toronto Sketches were released, every one of which has attained nice good fortune either with Toronto e-book dealers and with former Torontonians wishing to relive an previous, gentler time within the city's past.
This 9th quantity encompasses a number of tales, together with a glance at Toronto's 1904 inferno, the beginning of Rex Heslop's Rexdale neighborhood, a trip to Sunnyside leisure Park, and some attention-grabbing stories concerning the city's streetcars.
Quick preview of Toronto Sketches 9: The Way We Were PDF
On the height of provider the radial automobiles in this path ran as a long way north as Jackson’s aspect and Sutton, serving Bond Lake (where there has been a small excitement ground), Aurora, and Newmarket. a few yr after the Toronto Transportation fee started operation (September 1, 1921) the southern terminal of the Lake Simcoe radial line used to be moved to the hot Glen Echo loop on the urban limits. It was once the following that many suburban passengers stuck the TTC’s Peter Witt streetcars and trailers to proceed their trip downtown at the tremendous busy Yonge line.
3'541 C2006-900524-9 1 2 three four five 10 09 08 07 06 We recognize the help of the Canada Council for the humanities and the Ontario Arts Council for our publishing application. We additionally recognize the monetary aid of the govt of Canada during the booklet Publishing improvement software and The organization for the Export of Canadian Books, and the govt. of Ontario throughout the Ontario booklet Publishers Tax credits software, and the Ontario Media improvement company. Care has been taken to track the possession of copyright fabric utilized in this e-book.
Inside weeks of the outlet nearly 10 trains an afternoon have been calling on the new CP North Toronto Station. nonetheless a stately development, even supposing the clock has lengthy due to the fact that vanished, the station awaits its destiny during this picture I took greater than a decade in the past. The Canadian Northern wouldn’t use the station very lengthy, even though. It, in addition to a number of different financially embarrassed railways together with the Grand Trunk, have been taken over by way of the government and mixed into the recent Canadian nationwide Railways.
Fred Conboy served as Toronto’s mayor from 1941 to 1945. He additionally found the British schooner HMS Nancy, now an incredible charm at Wasaga seashore. As a tender guy, Dr. Conboy spent lots of his summers at Wasaga seashore. in the summertime of 1924, he stumbled on a cannonball buried within the financial institution of the Nottawasaga River. He spent the following summers prowling the world and at last unearthed (literally) the ruins of a sunken British armed schooner. It grew to become out that the charred hulk used to be that of HMS Nancy, which were sunk by means of a trio of yankee ships in the course of the conflict of 1812.
Whilst not anyone got here ahead, the belief quickly died at the strategy planning stage. however, such a lot officers and site visitors specialists notion the idea that used to be reliable, and several other extra makes an attempt have been revamped the next years to get the “speedway” outfitted. It used to be even licensed through the citizens at the related municipal poll that gave the go-ahead to the development of the Yonge highway subway. despite the fact that, whereas the production of the subway all started within the fall of 1949, the belief of the “speedway” persisted to languish. ultimately, within the early spring of 1958, officers of the newly created Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto introduced six-lane-wide ribbon of concrete approximately 10 miles in size will be equipped from Keating highway (now Lake Shore side road East, east of the Don River) during the valley of the Don northwards to hook up with the province’s new road 401.